Saturday 9 April 2016

92. Sailing - Women's 470

Event: Sailing - Women's 470
Date: 7th April 2016
Location: Alton Water Sailing Club 
Cost: £25 each for 3 hour lesson 
Rules:  The Women's 470 is a two-person dinghy and has a spinnaker and a trapeze, making teamwork essential. The competition runs over eleven races, with a 30 minute target-time for medals.

   
The Event:



Result:
Olympic Gold Medal, London 2012: Jo Aleh & Olivia Powrie - New Zealand. 

Comments:  
Sarah: Sailing buffs may notice we're in the same boat as the Elliott 6m for this event. The good old sturdy Bahia is not a 470. 470s are high-performance boats, and only a fool would let us loose in one of them. The Bahia was perfect for us, and we zipped through the water. I started to understand the connection between moving the tiller in different directions and controlling the main sheet depending on the strength of the wind (check out those sailing terms!), and began to feel a bit more comfortable in the boat. I was mainly very happy to sail for three hours and not go in for a swim!  
         
Ellie: In this session I was able to sit up on the side of the boat giving me so much more room. I also tried my best to look where I was steering rather than at the controls in my hands. I dread to think what will happen once we're let loose in boats on our own or when we get to try Wind Surfing but now we have retained some more of the information about the weather and the discipline of Sailing we'll stand a much better chance of not getting (too) wet!


No comments:

Post a Comment