Saturday 10 October 2015

84. Football

Event: Football
Date: 3rd October 2015
Location: Strangers Corner, Brightlingsea Sports Centre
Cost: £40 pitch hire
Rules: Football is the most widely played game in the world, but the women's event wasn't included in the Olympics until 1996. Teams of 11 try to score as many goals as possible in two 45 minute halves. All players must be in their own half at kick-off and the first kick of the ball must go forward. No more than 15 minutes extra time can be added by the referee at the end of each half to make up for penalties and substitutions. If necessary, the game can go to a penalty shoot-out after extra time.

The Event:




London 2012 Olympic Gold Medal: USA

Results:
Sarah, Greg, Claire - 13 v 6 - Ellie, Kim, Anna, Laura

Comments:  
Sarah: It was a tough mission to gather twenty two willing women to take part in our football match. As you can see from the pictures, we fell short of a few players, so adapted the pitch and played the lesser-known three-a-side rules. We tried to stick to proper match rules as much as possible, but there was certainly some loose interpretation going on. I found myself really enjoying the match, and would definitely like to play again but with bigger teams so we can focus more on set-plays and properly feel the flow of the game.

Ellie: I believe this is what is known in the trade as a pasting, a rout, a thrashing if you will. However, I like to think that it is a score line that shows how good Sarah's team was rather than how badly my team played. With the exception of the captain, me, my team played like bloody superstars! There were headers, excellent reactions to frankly shocking sliding tackles and some lovely goal celebrations. We were tactical, canny and and at one point did this amazing crab-like rugby scrum move which was pure genius. I definitely let the side down; I missed open goals and let opposition goals in through my legs. I took myself off during both halves to give myself a talking to and to give Laura a chance to shine. Although Football is clearly not my game, it was such a lovely thing to do on a Saturday morning and I'd be up for doing it again!

Huge thanks to our wonderful teammates; Laura, Greg, Claire, Kim and Anna

No comments:

Post a Comment